cnaut
Tuesday, March 17th 2009 10:20pm
I think that it is extremely important to have a balanced college
list. You should have safety, match, and reach schools and they
should all be schools that you have a genuine interest in
attending. Some students only apply to reach schools and to
safety schools that they really don't want to attend. I think
that it is important to have your reach schools but it is also
important to be realistic and have a good balance.
awad
Tuesday, March 17th 2009 11:20pm
How many colleges should a balanced list have?
Wendy
Wednesday, March 18th 2009 11:26am
The college application process can be costly sometimes, depending on how many schools you apply to, so the number of colleges you apply to should be within your budget as well.

Some people apply to almost 20 schools during their college process to "increase" their chances of going to college. However, to lessen the headache of managing the billions of applications, I would suggest around three to four colleges for each safety, match, and reach.
aluu
Friday, March 20th 2009 6:43pm
I think 8-10 is a good number. I overapplied. I honestly didn't need as many safeties as I did. But I applied to like 4 CUNYs just because I could for one application fee, so I thought I might as well and they didn't require any supplements so it was easy. I should have applied to more reach schools to just try for it.
sanmornjc
Wednesday, March 25th 2009 12:07am
I agree. A good balanced number is about 8-10, and it should have some reach, some balanced, and some backups. I, too, overapplied even though the first school I heard from in December was my first choice.
amyyy
Thursday, March 26th 2009 1:15pm
I only applied to 6 schools-- 2 safeties, 2 matches, 2 reach schools; I guess I just wasn't really interested in that many schools.
cnaut
Thursday, March 26th 2009 11:20pm
But you had a balanced list which is good.
bk1
Saturday, March 28th 2009 10:32am
I think your college list really depends if you get into a school early or not. While it is important to have Safety schools, I don't think students should be applying to more than 3 safety schools. Many times I see high schoolers apply to 4 5 safety schools with no intention of going.

It is important that you apply to safety schools that you would actually consider going to. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.
lukiih
Friday, July 10th 2009 8:48am
I applied to 2 reaches, 2 matches and 1 safety. A safety is a safety for a reason--I didn't see the point of applying to more than 1 safety school.
bk1
Thursday, August 13th 2009 7:10am
I think it really depends on the safety. Sometimes a safety isn't as big of a safety as people think. Especially in today's economy its harder to predict decisions from public schools.
Post a reply