Forums > Advice > Appealing aid

apple
Thursday, April 2nd 2009 10:16pm
Does anyone know what we can do to get a better financial aid package? Was anyone successful?
bk1
Sunday, April 5th 2009 6:55pm
You can start off with writing a letter to the financial aid office to have them review your financial aid package again. You can also send them any updates with your family's finances since you last submitted your FAFSA.
Dolly
Sunday, April 5th 2009 9:24pm
Depends on your university. At my school, NYU, the financial aid office resembled a bank where tellers are trapped in glass booths. There was no privacy, emotion, or true interaction. Furthermore, there was no help. Thus, I had to appeal for my aid online through an impersonal form. I wrote about my situation and received about $4k extra in aid for the next semester. It helped, but I wish the process was more personal and showed that my school cared. Wish you the best of luck & hopefully your attempt will be more successful.
cnaut
Sunday, April 12th 2009 1:25am
You can also leverage the aid packages that other schools offered you to improve your aid packages at some schools. Some schools are willing to negotiate. If you tell them that you want to attend their school but this other school has a more appealing offer, they might be willing to raise your aid.
Post a reply